so some of you will know , most of you will not, I used to have a my own cake business , The Cake Lane. I sold cakes to local business and anyone who needed cakey goodness. During my time with the business I was always on the search for the “perfect” cookie. I adapted recipes , tweaked things and found a very good cookie. Very good, not perfect.
i stopped the business when i fell pregnant with cheeky cheese in 2014 but never stopped my quest for the elusive perfect cookie.
fast forward to 2018 and i think i’ve found it.
over the last year i’ve become a huge fan of the Pioneer Woman aka Ree Drummond, she is a food blogger and hugely awesome tv cooking show lady. She has a recipe for slice and bake cookies just here.
i have adapted the recipe slightly, i omit the nuts and candy pieces and replace with dark chocolate chips, i also use crunchy peanut butter. One of the main things I love about these cookies is that you can freeze them in rolls of dough. I always makes twice as much and then have loads in the freezer , when you need them you just take them out , cut off some slices and bake. (also, the raw dough is AMAZING)
Tonight me and the girls decided to make some and we took some pictures. Full recipe below.
- 2.5 cups of plain flour
- 1 tsp instant coffee (i use decaf )
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of salted butter
- 1.25 cups packed light brown sugar
- 0.25 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tblsp vanilla
- 2 tblsp chocolate spread
- 2 tblsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT COOKIES
1. mix flour, baking soda, coffee and salt. set aside
2. cream together the butter and sugars. i use an electric hand mixer for this, remember to scrape down the sides once or twice.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each. Add the vanilla essence too .
4. Add the chocolate spread and peanut butter and mix well. if you are making this with toddlers prepare for them to shove their chubby hands into the jars.
5. Once this is all combined start to add the flour mix gradually. I use a spatula for this not the electric mixer.
whilst doing this part i managed to chuck flour over my own t shirt (which my 2 year old licked off for me (she’s weird )) and also got it on the 3 year olds face. she said it was delicious.
6. the final step is the best bit (in my opinion) chuck in all the chocolate chips. i use dark chocolate as this is my personal preference but you can use whatever your little heart desires. The kids also grabbed handfuls before i mixed them in
7. Now if you want to use the dough right away you pop around a teaspoon on a greased baking tray and bake for 7-9 minutes at 170 degrees. You want them to be a little underbaked so they keep their gooey middle. Leave to cool on the tray for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack.
8. If like me you double the recipe so that you have some in the freezer you need to get a sheet or two of greaseproof paper (about 18 inches long ) put the raw dough into the middle of the sheet and push along to form a “sausage ” shape, then roll up like cracker. (see pics ) once this is done pop in the freezer. Whenever you need some bring them out for 10 mins, slice off 1cm slices and bake as above. Only cut off as much as you need so you always have cookies at the drop of a hat !!
if you make these please let me know what you think. I absolutely love them and hope you do too.